Rogan josh, also written roghan josh or roghan ghosht, is a delicious, aromatic dish of Persian or Kashmiri origin. Perfect with Lamb, beef, chicken or vegetables such as cauliflower.
Enjoy our version of this indian staple Rogan Josh, cooked to perfection in a spicy tick tomato sauce with onions and garlic. The lamb is tender and will be cooked to perfection.
- 75g natural yoghurt
- 2-3 tbls Rogan Josh Spice Blend
- 550g lamb, beef or chicken fillets (skinless) or vegetables
- 300g onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tbls tomato purée
- 1ts Salt
- 25g butter
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 green cardamom pods, split open at the top
- 5cm cinnamon stick, broken in half or 1ts ground cinnamon
- 350ml (approx) boiling water
- Mix the yoghurt with the 2-3 spoons of Rogan Josh Spice Blend, depending on your taste, the more you add the spicier the dish will be.
- Cut the lamb, beef or chicken or vegetables into cubes. Put them into a nonstick saucepan with the onions, place the pan over a medium heat, stirring until evrything begins to sizzle.
- Add the yoghurt and spice mixture, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lamb has released all its natural juices.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has reduced to a paste like consistency.
- Add the tomato purée, some salt and 15 g of the butter to the lamb. Reduce the heat to low again and cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add about 350 ml of boiling water, cover and simmer for approx 15 minutes.
- In a small pan, melt the remaining butter over a low heat, add the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, allow them to sizzle for 35-40 seconds.
- Mix into the meat, cover and cook for a further 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in some chopped mint and coriander.
- Serve with rice, naan bread or both.