1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup Sriracha
1 3/4 cups cooked black beans or 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
3 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced red onion
8 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh coriander
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
4 sesame seed buns or ciabatta rolls
1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into long strips
1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and sliced just before serving
- Combine the vegan mayonnaise and 2 tablespoonfuls of the Spicy Joes Tandoori Blend in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the black beans in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or on paper towels. Cover with an additional towel or more paper towels and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseeds and water and let sit for several minutes, until a gel forms.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until they have given off their moisture and begin to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the beans, flaxseed gel, cilantro, garlic, remaining Mayo, Soy Sauce, pepper, and 1 cupful of the bread crumbs. Pulse until just combined, with some chunky bean bits still intact. Form the mixture into 4 patties and let sit while you preheat the grill. If the patties aren’t firm enough to hold their shape, incorporate additional bread crumbs by hand, then form into patties again.
- Lightly oil a grill or grill pan and preheat to medium-high heat. Using a metal spatula, gently transfer the patties onto the grill. Cook until well browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total, gently flipping once about halfway through. Lightly toast the buns during the last minute or two of cooking, if desired.
- To assemble the burger, spread the refrigerated Sriracha-cumin sauce on the top and bottom of each bun. Load each up with a patty, a small handful of arugula, and one-fourth of the red bell pepper and avocado. Serve immediately.