Spicy Battered Mackerel Fillets
Spicy battered mackerel fillets. Can be served with boiled rice, chips or potato wedges with a little salad.
Easy to cook and and totally delicious. A new take on fish and chips !
The recipe is based on one found on the waterfront in Cape Town South Africa
4 Fresh Mackerel Fillets
250g Plain Flour
2 Tbls Spoons Spicy Joes Rogan Josh Blend
Water (sparkling works really well)
Oil For Frying
1. Give the fish fillets a wash under a cold tap, pat dry with a tissue.
2. In a bowl, mix the Rogan Josh blend with a little oil, stir until you have a paste.
3. Place the fish in the bowl and massage until the fish is nicely covered in the spicy paste. Place in the fridge for 2 hours min to marinade.
4. Place the plain flour into a bowl, season with salt and pepper mix with either water (sparkling is good) to form your batter mix
5. Heat oil for frying in a large pan. To test if it it is hot enough, drop a small drop of batter mix in, it it bubbles then oil is hot enough.
6. Coat each piece of fish in the batter, making sure it is well covered, then gently frop into the oil and cook until golden brown and crisp.
7. Drain and set aside resting on kitchen roll.