- 400g thin-cut steak, sliced into very thin strips
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Spicy Joes Chinese five-spice powder
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Thumb Sized piece of Ginger, thinly sliced into strips
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Cooked Rice or noodles to serve
Put 400g thinly cut steak strips in a bowl and toss in 3 tbsp cornflour and 2 tsp Spicy Joes Chinese five-spice powder.
Heat 100ml vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan until hot, then add the beef and fry until golden and crisp.
Scoop out the beef and drain on kitchen paper. Pour away all but 1 tbsp oil.
Add 1 thinly sliced red pepper, ½ thinly sliced red chilli, sliced white ends of 4 spring onions, 2 crushed garlic cloves and thumb-sized piece ginger, cut into matchsticks, to the pan. Stir-fry for 3 mins to soften, but don’t let the garlic and ginger burn.
Mix the 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce and 2 tbsp tomato ketchup in a jug with 2 tbsp water, then pour over the veg.
Cook for 2 mins, then add the beef back to the pan and toss well to coat.
Serve the beef with cooked rice or noodles.
Enjoy with a cold beer or glass of wine.